Since 1955, Altgeld Hall has been the home of the University of Illinois’s math department on the Urbana-Champaign campus.
The building dates from 1986–7 and was named after
Illinois governor John Peter Altgeld (1847–1902), who served from 1893–1897.
The building architects, Nathan Ricker and James McLaren White,
were members of the University’s own department of architecture,
and designed the Hall in the style now referred to as “Richardsonian Romanesque”
(after the American architect, Henry Hobson Richardson, whose work was influential in American civic building of the era).