|Address:||University of California, San Diego|
|Department of Mathematics|
|La Jolla, CA 92093-0112|
|Place of Birth:||New York City, New York|
|B.S. City College of New York||1946|
|M.S. Cornell University||1947|
|Ph.D. Cornell University||1949|
- Fellow of Institute of Mathematical Sciences
- Fellow of AAAS
- Guggenheim Fellow 1965–66
- Wald Lectures 1970
- Guggenheim Fellow 1971–72
- Overseas Fellow, Churchill College, Cambridge University 1979
- Member of International Statistical Institute
- Election to the National Academy of Sciences, 1984
Lectures and Activities
- Office of Naval Research postdoctoral grant held at Cornell University, 1949–50.
- Visit to University of Stockholm, March to December 1953, to carry out joint research with culminating in book on time series.
- Gave a talk at 3rd Berkeley Symposium in 1954.
- Visit to Dept. of Statistics, Columbia University, for fall semester 1955.
- Resigned from U. of Chicago July 15, 1955 to take on position at Indiana University. Went to Indiana University from visit to Columbia University, January 1956.
- Visited Brookhaven summer of 1959.
- Helped organize Symposium on Time Series Analysis held at Brown University, June 1962.
- Talk at Conference on Probability Theory held at Tbilisi, U.S.S.R. in October 1963.
- Gave a talk at 5th Berkeley Symposium in 1965.
- Visited University College (London) Statistics and Mathematics Depts. and Imperial College Statistics and Probability group, 1967.
- Talk at 6th Berkeley Symposium, 1970.
- Visited University College (London). Lectures at Universities of Helsinki and
Copenhagen. Gave talks at Weizman Institute, University of Jerusalem, Technion (Israel). Participated in 1974 Mahalanobis memorial meeting in Calcutta.
- Visited Australian National University. Gave series of lectures at Keio University in
- Overseas Fellow at Churchill College, Cambridge University. Visited Australian
- Invited series of lectures at Guelph and Carleton University in Canada. Distinguished lecture series at Indiana University, 1980.
- Visit to University of North Carolina in March 1981.
- Visit to University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology under auspices of the Science Research Council to give a series of lectures. Invited talks at the Mathematical Institute, Oberwolfach, Germany in a meeting on time series and density estimation, 1981.
- Lecture at conference on limit theorems in probability and statistics held at Veszprém, Hungary by the Bolyai Society. Lectures as Visiting Scholar at Stanford. Invited lecture at University of Toronto, 1982.
- Invitation to give lectures at Mathematical Research Institute (Berkeley). Invited talk at 50th anniversary of Iowa State University Statistical Laboratory, 1983.
- Helped organize memorial meeting for at UCSD, 1983.
- Trip to Academia Science, Taiwan to give a talk in December 1985.
- Organizational member and invited speaker at session on “Dependence in Probability and Statistics” at the Mathematical Research Institute at Oberwolfach, March 31–April 6, 1985.
- Organized joint Summer Research Conference of the American Mathematical Society on “Function Estimates” at Humboldt State University, July 28–August 2, 1985.
- Invited lecture at the world congress of the Bernoulli Society of Mathematical Statistics and Probability at Tashkent, U.S.S.R, September 8–13, 1986.
- Keynote address at IEEE workshop on spectral estimation at Boston, Massachusetts, November 15, 1986.
- Invited talk in program of Institute for Mathematics and Its Applications at the
Universityof Minnesota on inverse problems, January 26–February 2, 1985.
- Invited speaker at the program on semiparametric problems at Oberwolfach, West Germany, March 8–12, 1987.
- Invited speaker at 17th European meeting of statisticians, Thessaloniki, Greece,
- Talk in distinguished speaker series at the National Bureau of Standards, April 26, 1988.
- Principal lecturer at Conference Board of Mathematical Sciences/National Science Foundation summer conference on curve estimation, UC Davis, 1989.
- Plenary talk at 3rd Hungary Colloquium on Limit Theorems in Probability and Statistics, Pécs, Hungary, 1989.
- Participation in workshop on nonlinear time series and applications at Edinburgh with a grant from the Science and Engineering Council of the United Kingdom, 1989.
- Invited talk at the Institute for Mathematics and Its Applications, summer program on New Directions in Time Series, University of Minnesota, 1990.
- Invited lectures at NATO workshop on curve estimation held in Spetses, Greece, 1990.
- Invited lecture at Doeblin conference in Blaubeuren, Germany, November 1991.
- Lectures at Paris VI; University of Heidelburg; Singapore; Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Tokyo; Tokyo Institute of Technology; Tokyo University while on sabbatical, 1992.
- Invited lectures at Cambridge University, the Technical University of Munich, and Keio University, 1992.
- Institute of Statistical Science meeting on statistical function estimation, March 22–26, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan, 1993.
- Invited lecture at Institute for Mathematics and Its Applications, University of
- Invited lecture at Conference of Applied Probability and Time Series in Athens, Greece, March 1995.
- Fall semester at Statistics Dept. at Colorado State University, 1994–1997.
- Meeting at Carleton, Canada for , 1997.
- Lectures at University of North Carolina on nonGaussian linear processes, March 1997.
- Lectures at University of Illinois and Indiana University, September 1997.
- Lectures at Univeristy of Illinois and Indiana University, October 1998.
- Talk at Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, on retirement of , March 26, 1999.
- Gave series of lectures at Seoul National University in Korea, 2000.
- Liaison to NAC for Applied Mathematical Sciences, NAS, 2000–2003.
- Participated in U.S.-Japan joint seminar in Kyoto, Japan, 2001.
- President of UCSD Emeriti, 2003.
- Invited talk at Statistics Dept., University of Chicago, 2005.